Traditional Chai Tea & Indian Red Onion Fritters (Pakoras)
These recipes were created and presented as an in-store cooking demonstration by Dev Shukla on March 7, 2020.
Prepared with traditional spices and Indian black tea leaf in the traditional way.
2 Tsp Loose black tea (Taj Mahal Tea brand or any other brand )
1 tsp Ginger fresh and chopped
1 tsp Chai Masala (Everest or MTR brand )
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Cup whole milk (dairy free milk can be substituted to make vegan)
- Use a kettle or tea pot, add water and bring to boil
- Add tea and ginger and boil for 3 minutes
- Add milk and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes
- Turn the heat off and add the chai masala
- Pour the tea with the help of a strainer
Onion Fritters (Pakoras)
A wonderfully paired snack with Chai tea are red onion fritters. This contains all vegan ingredients to make this delicious snack.
4 Red Onions – Halve and slice thin.
1 Jalapeno – Remove stem and seeds, slice into long thin strips
1/3 cup fresh Coriander - Chopped finely
2 Tbsp Ginger and Garlic paste
1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp Paprika powder
2 Tsp Coriander power
2 Tsp Garam masala powder
2 Tsp Coriander seeds
1 1/2 Cup Gram flour (Besan)
1/3 Cup Rice flour
1 Cup water
Oil as needed for deep frying
- Heat the oil over med/high heat (~360 degrees) in a sauté or deep frying pan
- In a large bowl, using your hands, gently mix all the dry ingredients well
- Add a little water at a time with one hand, while continuing to mix the ingredients with the other
- Mixture should be a wet thick paste covering all of the onion slices
- Using a medium size tablespoon, drop loose onion batter mix into hot oil, adding only 4-5 fritters at a time so not to crowd.
- Fry until golden brown on all the sides, turning occasionally as needed
- Cook in small batches to maintain heat and continue to add mixture until complete.